You should have signed up for a domain at reclaimhosting.com. If you go to your domain right now, you will see the default info for your domain. We will upload your files to change this.
- Once you have your account set up, you can login at the Client Area. You should be able to login with the email you used to sign up.
- Once in the Client Area, you should see information about your account. First, go to Accounts, My Accounts. You should see the domain you set up there as Active. Under View Details, choose Change Password. Change the password to something that is meaningful to you and Save. Make a note of the username and password on this page. You will use this to FTP. This does not change your password for accessing the Client Area.
- Now choose cPanel. Here you can see the range of options for your host. Click on FTP Accounts, and you will see the default ftp account under Special FTP Accounts.
- There is also a File Manager in the cPanel, but we will be using Fetch. But this is a good option if you need to upload or modify something in a pinch, when you don’t have access to Fetch.
- Other things you can do via the cPanel are set up Subdomains and Email accounts. You can also use the Installatron Application to install a self-hosted WordPress application. We won’t be doing that in this class, but you might want to try that on your own.
- You are ready to FTP your files. Now open
on your computer. Include your domain as the hostname and use the username and pw from the step above where you changed the password. You will then see the file structure for your site.
- Double-click on the public_html folder. This is your publishing folder. Anything that will be seen on the Web must be below this folder. This folder name is hidden in the url. Make sure you are in public_html by checking the top of the screen.
- Choose the Put button. Find the files you want to upload. Select the files. You can use the Shift key to select multiple files at a time. Be careful not to double-click on a folder. You want to navigate to a folder, then select the files you want to upload. Once you have the files selected, choose Put. You will see the little dog running. When it is finished and your files are uploaded, go to the browser and refresh the page with your domain name.
- If you make any changes to your files, you need to re-Fetch them. Then refresh your browser. You should see the change.
- You are now a published web developer! Congrats!